Menes 3 of Spring Twilight, 1023 FA
When last we left our stalwart adventurers, they were cleaning up after the aftermath of their mighty battle with the Lamia Matriarch’s goblin strike force, and her cowardly attack on Berringer’s wagon train. Berringer had offered to purchase the goblin’s weapons and armour for the princely sum of 200gp.
When Zozo stumbled upon the site of the battle, most of the discussion seemed to revolve around the only one of their assailants that was not dead; namely, Thrask the Troll, formerly of the southern bridge. Eventually, the decision was made to bury him up to his neck, let him regenerate, and then come back later to track him back to the Lamia’s lair.
After another hour or so of travel, the wagon train forded the second fork of the river, and came upon a fence surrounding several square miles; they’d found the Eastmans’ ranch. It was rapidly ascertained that the Eastmans didn’t ranch horses, but rather axe beaks, a large flightless bird well suited to being used as a mount.
Berringer and his supplies were well received by Lars Eastman, the owner of the ranch, who invited the party to stay the night and have dinner with the family. Svetlana Eastman, Lars’ wife, made mutton stew, and introduced them to their daughters, Wendy and Elle. Topics of conversation included arrangements to purchase axe beaks for the fledgling kingdom of Kynnys, a mysterious temple in the forest to the southeast, six miles south of a large rock on the river’s edge. As well, they spoke of the Lamia Matriarch, who it seems was interested in capturing Wendy Eastman for her sorcerous powers, although the Lamia never went beyond the boundaries of the ranch herself. Plans were made to look into the temple while they were in the area, and the party took advantage of the Eastman’s offer to spend the night in the boarding house.
Menes 4 of Spring Twilight, 1023 FA
Bright and early the next morning, as the Eastmans were getting ready for their tasks about the ranch, the party headed out after the temple immediately, moving south into the forest and then moving to the southeast to find the temple. However, they seemed to lose their bearings, and headed back to the river to try and find their landmark. By the time they located the rock that indicated the point where they should turn south, they’d been walking all day, and decided to make camp right there.
Menes 5 of Spring Twilight, 1023 FA
Dawn saw the adventurers heading south into the forest, and after only a few hours of searching, located the Temple of the Peregrinators, a small, ancient structure that pre-dated even the Alphatian Empire. The building was awash with magic, and the ancient stone doors stood unlocked.
The interior of the building was lit dimly with magical witch flames, and a dank mustiness pervaded the air. Their explorations brought them face to face with a multitude of skeletons and ghouls, which were handily dispatched. Deeper explorations into the temple, hidden behind a secret door, led to the high priest’s chamber, the corpse of a previous hapless adventurer, and an ancient altar, its last victim still lashed to the stone.
As the party approached the altar, the ghost of its last victim raised up out of the stone, and attacked. Its supernatural mien terrified half of the party, but after a terrifying and difficult battle, the ghost was finally dispatched. Pausing for a brief rest, the party considered the last unopened door that led into the heart of the temple…